Thursday, April 16, 2009

Shortcuts

There must be a mathematical proof out there that says, coding outside of your design / idiom will always comeback and bite you. I swear it must be true. I've been coding away on a project for a few months now. Things are really starting to come together, the light is at the end of the tunnel. There were a few places, that I took some shortcuts, hey I was in a rush, I wanted to finish up a little component before I left for the day, I was tired, it's not going to be so bad.

But doggonit each time I hit one of those shortcuts, they screwed me. Without fail they turned out to be problematic, in ways I couldn't even have imagined when writing them. And, they were way more time consuming to fix, than if I had written them correctly the first time.

I'm not talking about totally egregious shortcuts either. Some revolved around being cute or tricky or just slightly blurring tiers. But it is amazing to me how each one of the shortcuts turned out to be problematic enough to need to be fixed.

Away, there must be some mathematical proof about this, there must be.

No comments:

 
Web Statistics